Rules
Conversation between AB and a guy at a hotel who was drinking a lot of wine but was not drunk.
AB: 8 glasses of wine! That's bad
Guy: Errr for whom?
AB: Your health of course
Guy: I know and I still choose to drink. Why should anybody be bothered? Who made these rules of what is good and bad? No offence to you, but do you know where the understanding of good and bad originated from? Like, do you see that lady doing office work on her laptop on the other table? Will you say it is good or bad to just lift her skirt up?
AB: Of course bad!!!
Guy: If I say she went to the swimming pool 10min ago in a bikini, then?
AB: She wore a bikini by her choice, your lifting her skirt up will be against her will, so disrespectful!
Guy: I see... So if according to her will, she sits here in the lobby and does her office work in a bikini, wouldn't people mind it?
AB: Yes... But...
Guy: Who is this person who made all these rules?
The example he gave might seem silly, but the issue is not. Who decides 'this is what is expected out of a good woman/man', 'what is good/bad for children', 'what religious practices can be allowed in this country', and so on... So when AB came home and told me what happened, I thought hard and long (I even downed half a bottle of wine with the excuse of putting myself in that guy's shoes). I did come up with my own theory though. Most of the rules do look like they were made for convenience rather than morality... But that's for later. Now I want to know your take on it.
Whoever made random rules whenever, why do we follow them(or not)? Are we always rational about every belief of ours?
Well I agree that the example the gu used to make his point wasn't one of the most sensible ones.May be because of the amount of alcohol that was floating in his system at that time.
Though I liked the wonderful issue you've talked on. We definitely don't always rationalize our actions. But I don't think we can base all our actions on the set rules (set by society).
Instead use of an educated approach and weighing options based on that before deciding upon what is moral and what is not always helps.
Keep up the good work celestial rays.
Let's stay in touch.
Cheers!!
Rules are meant to be broken, bent and twisted in every possible manner. So whoever made a set of rules might have made them to suit themselves and their way of thoughts...take it and twist it and be responsible for the consequences - good or bad!
I think this comes down to our social conditioning..We learn right vs. wrong from the time we are born. As we grow we add, remove from this chart we carry in our mind.
Rules are put in place by governing bodies as a way to control people and punishments are put in place to enforce the rules. These rules may get obsolete with passing of time but may not be removed and are expected to be followed.
Similar everyone has morale rules they follow. These rules are diff for diff people. e.g. for someone who grew up in a alcoholic parent may decide to never drink even while knowing on an intellectual level that drinking in moderation is not bad.
i agree with comfortablynam...rules were formed as a way to bring together societies, form norms, establish a line as to what is proper or not, etc...and as we mature as an individual, we decide to follow some, question some and ignore the others. as long as what one makes the person happy and is not affecting anyone else, then it shud be ok..i think
Nice post :-)
My take on it? Rules were/are made for convenience AND morality. Let me explain. Free will is something beyond the other person's control, but this society, civilization of ours, whatever you choose to call it...couldn't have originated without setting some ground rules. Rules are basically meant to bring in a certain order into our daily lives; the rulebook just got bigger over a period of time, ever since ancient man struck two stones to make fire, know what I mean? What and how someone does something isn't really the point
Cattle, rodents and street dogs don't have any rules, but they also exist on this planet, don't they? Would we rather live like them...or us?
@Chatterbox, a warm welccome :)
I completely agree with you - to use an educated approach to make decisions and not necessarily follow the tradition. I must admit, it is not always taken in a good stride though... :)
Thanks for the kind words and we'll definitely be in touch :)
Cheers lady!!
@viswa - u have mirrored my thoughts :)
@comfy - very well said. The example you gave is true in case of my friend...
@Titaxy - 'not affecting others' - couldn't agree more. But if others seem to get themselves involved in matters that doesn't involve them, then I can't be bothered... :)
@phatichar - Thanks :)
I agree to everything except the last few lines - animals too have rules. Really. Like bees living in a hive, ants finding food and signalling others to come there, and how they go in a nice line rather than rush towards the food and kill each other or deers warning other deers of a nearby danger... can't just call it nature.
Pata nahi rules kya hota hai! The sky is the limit... I only know that much!
actually yaar....bande ki baaton me point toh hai....
who made these rules???
@Aparna - hai na!
@Dido - tu yeh example aunty ko de aur pooch na. am sure she'll have an answer :D
lol ....mom ke paas answer aur 2 new quests ready honge :P
i've posted the video ...dekh le.. :)
Dido, dekha, mast hai :)