When the heart breaks
AB introduced me to his friend and colleague G a couple of years ago. G introduced me to his girlfriend for 4-5 years, Lk. Lk and I became very good friends.
G and Lk broke up last year.
Awkward awkward awkward. I was still friends with Lk and G. AB was still friends with Lk and G. But, G broke up with Lk.
She would call me and weep for hours. She would call AB and ask him to fix up things. Every time AB confronted G, he would avoid the topic and never say a word.
Lk on the other hand would tell me everything that might have lead to their break up. She said what habits of his were annoying, how he didn't give her any time or importance and the worst bit was, he moved out of her life without giving a reason. He broke up with her and she didn't know why. All her efforts to know the answer only made him block her all the more from his life. She counted on AB to get some answers for her, but G never said anything.
It broke my heart to see her shatter like that. All she kept on saying amidst her tears was 'why why why'. I unknowingly grew to dislike G because of the way he broke up. Whenever he came home with other friends of AB, I was a little less nice towards him. Every time I saw him, or even his name on AB's mobile, I could only think of Lk's helplessness. And when I came to know G had asked his parents to search a girl for him, I was furious. I only knew one side of the story, but that controlled my judgement.
Luckily, Lk had loads of supportive friends. They all helped her move on. A few months back she introduced me to a guy she was seeing and planning to wed. It felt really nice to see the smile back on her face.
A few weeks before, G and the gang came home for a few drinks. G announced that he was going back to India for good. In his drunk state, with watery eyes, he spoke about Lk for the first time. He said 'I am so lonely without Lk. I cannot get myself to think of anyone else'.
The words sunk into me heavily. These were the exact words Lk had said for G sometime back. As my mind was debating over what could have gone wrong, everybody else coaxed him to talk about his pain, go back to her, work things out. But he didn't utter a word. He remained silent all the while.
Yesterday he went back to India. A thought crossed my mind. I asked AB if G said anything, any little thing about Lk at all. He had not. I realized, G never ever spoke ill of her to anyone, even in his drunk state. He quietly and voluntarily became the monster who was held responsible for the relationship to break, even by his own friends. That gentleman took every blame for her honour and dignity.
Was I was hasty in judging him before? He still respected her, probably still loved her. Then why did he break up with her?
I guess I will never know, nor will others, because he will never let anybody judge her.
Ur friend is great. No wonder he kept quiet all the time.Thumbs up for him :)
yup quite a shocking realization though...
wow.. sahi banda hai yaar :)..but its actually true that we always sympathize wid the girls and dont even bother to clarify the other side of the story ...
wahi toh, we always judge people, even without all the info